Professional Practices

I do work for lawyers, dentists, doctors, veterinarians, chiropractors and many other
professional practice businesses. It’s not unusual to fall behind in entity taxes, individual taxes and payroll taxes at the same time.

A coordinated effort must be made to address all three when trying to resolve problems
before things get out of hand. I often work with the client’s attorney, accountant and financial planner. It has to be a coordinated team effort.

Lost Refund

If you are due a refund but don’t file a return, the US Treasury can keep your money if you don’t file within 3 years of the filing deadline.
Enough said.

Do I file a return this year?

The deadline to file your Form 1040 without extension is April 18 this year. You haven't file a return for multiple years. You have a decision to make. Do I let it slide again this year? The odds of non discovery are not in your favor. The IRS is not the only organization that may request a copy of your return in our increasingly interconnected financial world.

No one can make the decision but you.

I am always available to answer questions and assist you.

Unpaid Taxes

Your parents are nearing retirement. Their house is paid for and they have accumulated other assets to aid in that retirement. They jointly owe income taxes for prior years or never filed a return. The IRS does not inquire as to unpaid taxes or unfilled returns. The years pass. They now receive social security and Medicare. Both of them are retired.
The later you address the situation, the harder the solution. If one or both die owing taxes, the responsibility for addressing the situation falls to the executor. Estate administration becomes more costly.

Private Collection of Taxes Owed

Pursuant to the Fast Act passed in December 2015, The IRS is once again allowing private collection companies to pursue collection of taxes owed. These companies must follow provisions of the Fair Debt Collection Practices act. If you don't want to work with these collection companies, you must submit a request in writing to the assigned agency.
Beware of scammers pretending to collect on behalf of the IRS. To make a complaint about the agency or its employee, call the TIGTA hotline 800-366-4484.

Typical Profile - The Serial Defaulter

Taxpayer enters into installment agreement with the IRS. In order to stay in the program, taxpayer must be compliant in all future tax years. Compliant means that all future returns have to be filed and all taxes due for that year must be paid no later than the extended due date for filing the return. If taxpayer does not do this, then the installment agreement is void and all deferred taxes are due immediately. I help clients remain compliant and avoid getting on this painful treadmill.